Grapes are sweet and juicy.
They are a great snack and can satisfy your sweet tooth cravings because of their high sugar content. Therefore, it’s only natural that you’d get curious as to whether they will make you gain weight.
Before we go any further, let’s look at how many calories are in a 100-gram cup of grapes:
There are about 69 calories in red grapes and 87 calories in green grapes. The two types of grapes are low in calories, meaning that they are not enough to interfere with your weight loss goals.
With that being said, you still need to exercise caution if you have blood sugar irregularities. However, since grapes have naturally occurring sugar, they are much healthier compared to food that has added sugar.
Their sugary content also leaves people with mixed opinions as to whether grapes are safe for people with diabetes.
Most people don’t know that grapes have a significant role when it comes to diabetes.
They can help prevent type 2 diabetes.
A study published in the BMJ in 2013 helped prove this fact. The study included 187,382 participants who consumed three weekly servings of grapes and other berries. According to the study, consuming grapes in such quantities lowers your risk of type 2 diabetes by 7%.
So their sweetness should not worry you as much. As long as you consume grapes in moderation, you should be able to take advantage of their weight loss benefits. You just need to account for their carbohydrate content in your meal plan.
How Are Grapes Good For Weight Loss?
The fact that grapes are low in calories makes them perfect for weight loss. People use them to help create a caloric deficit, forcing their body’s to use their fat reserves for energy.
Research conducted at the ‘University of Texas Health Science Center’ in 2011, also proved that grapes have fat-burning properties. According to the research, grapes have a compound called resveratrol that helps produce adiponectin – a fat-burning hormone.
Adiponectin can prevent fat accumulation by helping your body break down fat faster. A bonus is that it also helps curb people’s appetite.
Unlike other food products, eating grapes will not generate any toxic wastes or fat deposits in your body. In fact, the 1% fat that they have is considered to be healthy. Grapes also have dietary fiber, which will help you feel fuller for longer. You’ll end up eating less food because of their satiating fiber.
Grapes are also 80% water. Not only will they help rehydrate your body, but they will also help you ward off hunger temporarily.
What Else Can Grapes Do For Your Body?
Grapes will provide you with more than a quarter of your daily required vitamin K intake. Vitamin K is essential for blood clotting. It’s also good for your heart and bone health.
When you lack enough vitamin K, your risk of developing heart disease increases. Your bones will also weaken, and you may experience excessive bleeding because your blood will have trouble clotting.
A cup of grapes also provides you with more than a quarter of your daily recommended vitamin C intake. Sufficient amounts of vitamin C will lower your risk of heart disease as well.
Vitamin C will help boost your immunity. Your wounds will also take a shorter amount of time to heal. Other benefits include excellent eye health and protection from certain cancers.
Grapes also have adequate amounts of calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium. These minerals also ensure that you have strong bones, teeth, and regulated blood pressure.
Other Benefits of Including Grapes In Your Diet
- They have anti-inflammatory effects allowing them to alleviate allergy symptoms.
- Thanks to resveratrol, grapes can help treat conditions like acne, osteoarthritis, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Grapes have antioxidants that can help prevent cataracts, and damage to the retina.
- You will get protection from diabetic neuropathy.
- They help reduce the risk of constipation and promote regular bowel movements.
- Grapes are great for people with insulin resistance.
- Grapes have anti-bacterial properties. They can protect you from certain viral, bacterial, and yeast infections.
- Since they are rich in antioxidants, they will help protect your skin from ultraviolet radiation and free radicals.
- Grapes are good for your brain health.
- They can help decrease your cholesterol levels.
- Grapes are great pre-workout snacks because they help boost your energy.
Ways To Incorporate Grapes Into Your Diet
- You can add them to your fruit or green salad.
- Eat them as a snack whenever you’re feeling hungry or when you have sugar cravings.
- If you love chicken salad, you can try chopping up some grapes and adding them to the recipe.
- Replace your sodas and packed fruit juice with fresh grape juice and smoothies.
Grape Smoothies Recipes
If you are thinking of trying out some grape smoothies, here are some healthy smoothie recipes that you can comfortably make at home.
1. Grape Antioxidant Blast
From its name, you can tell that this smoothie is packed with antioxidants. It’s an excellent choice for people who are watching their weight. Even though wheatgrass is an optional ingredient, adding it to the smoothie will be beneficial to your weight loss regimen.
You will need:
- 1 cup of almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 cup of frozen grapes (red grapes)
- 1 tablespoon of wheatgrass powder (optional)
- 3 tbsp. hemp seeds
- 2 cups of fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup of ice cubes (optional)
To prepare the smoothie:
- Put all the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy.
2. Tomato Lime And Grape Smoothie
This juice is excellent for detoxification, lowering your cholesterol, and boosting your metabolism.
You will need:
- 2 tbsp. of lime juice
- 2 tomatoes (washed and cut)
- ½ cup of green grapes
- A pinch of Himalayan pink salt
To prepare the smoothie:
- Put the grapes and tomatoes in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into two glasses.
- Add a tablespoon of lime juice to each smoothie.
- Add the Himalayan salt and stir.
3. Matcha And Grape Smoothie
If you are looking for a coffee alternative, you might want to try out this smoothie. It is a low-calorie drink that’s packed with weight-loss friendly and energizing ingredients.
If you want to effectively use grapes for weight loss, you should make it a practice of having them in the morning – on an empty stomach. They will energize you and help you burn fat as you get ready for the day.